Great Britain 1853 half penny
This specimen was lot 24092 in Heritage sale 3020 (Long Beach, September 2012), where it sold for $705. The catalog description noted, "Victoria Proof Halfpenny 1853, Young Head, PR65 BN NGC, a beautiful example of this rare proof, with bluish hues over rich mahogany-brown reflective surfaces. A few faint abrasions and a small carbon area on one rim are noted for accuracy." This half penny was struck 1838-60 and is common, tho the proofs are rare. It shares the same design with the farthing and penny.
Recorded mintage: 1,559,000 plus a few proofs.
Catalog reference: S-3949, KM 726a.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Tucker, Warren, and Cris Bierrenbach, Heritage Signature Auction 3020: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.
- 1852 half penny
- 1853 half farthing
- 1853 farthing
- 1853 penny
- 1853 silver penny
- 1853 tuppence
- 1853 threepence
- 1853 groat, Britannia reverse
- 1853 groat
- 1853 sixpence
- 1853 shilling
- 1853 florin
- 1853 sovereign
- 1854 half penny
- Great Britain 1859 3 pence
- Coins and currency dated 1853
- return to coins of Great Britain