Great Britain 1853 half crown
This specimen was lot 31148 in Heritage sale 3037 (New York, January 2015), where it sold for $7,931.25. The catalog description noted, "Victoria Proof 1/2 Crown 1853 PR64 Cameo NGC, Royal mint. Only proof halfcrowns were minted in 1853, and while exact mintage figures are unknown, the scarcity of this type in the market suggests that it was quite minuscule. One of only three 1853 halfcrowns that NGC deemed worthy of the 'cameo' designation. Between NGC and PCGS, only 14 1853 halfcrowns have been certified, with this piece certainly among the finest of those. Bright and reflective surfaces with minimal hairlines and just one dark toning spot before the profile of Victoria. An overall very attractive coin. From The Law Collection." This type was struck in substantial numbers 1839-50, then only proofs were offered 1851-53 as the mint attempted to circulate the florin (two shillings). In 1874, production of this denomination resumed with a modified bust and continued until the end of sterling coinage in the 1960's.
Recorded mintage: unknown but few.
Specification: 14.14 g, .925 fine silver, .420 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 740, S-3888.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3037, featuring the Empire, the Santa Catarina, the Law and the Santa Maria Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- 1853 half farthing
- 1853 farthing
- 1853 half penny
- 1853 penny
- 1853 Maundy penny
- 1853 Maundy tuppence
- 1853 Maundy threepence
- 1853 groat, Britannia reverse
- 1853 Maundy fourpence
- 1853 sixpence
- 1853 shilling
- 1853 florin
- 1853 crown proof
- 1853 half sovereign
- 1853 sovereign
- Coins and currency dated 1853
- return to coins of Great Britain