Great Britain 1853 4 pence KM-732
This specimen was part of lot 33424 in Heritage sale 3042 (Long Beach, September 2015), which sold for $846. The catalog description noted, "Victoria Four Coin Maundy Set 1853 UNC. Young head type. An exceptional quartet with mostly bright white surfaces and dazzling luster. Seldom offered this choice." This type, KM 732 with the numeric reverse, was struck 1838-87 for Maundy sets only. The other groat, KM 731.1, was struck 1838-55 for circulation and has Britannia on the reverse.
Recorded mintage: 2,189,000 plus proofs.
Specification: 1.88 g, .925 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM 732, KM-MDS103 (set).
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World Coin Auction 3042, featuring the Read and Bob Bennett Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.
- 1853 half farthing
- 1853 farthing
- 1853 half penny
- 1853 penny
- 1853 Maundy penny
- 1853 Maundy tuppence
- 1853 Maundy threepence
- 1853 groat, Britannia reverse
- 1853 sixpence
- 1853 shilling
- 1853 florin
- 1853 half crown proof
- 1853 crown proof
- 1853 half sovereign
- 1853 sovereign
- Coins and currency dated 1853
- return to coins of Great Britain