Great Britain 1843 penny
This specimen was lot 20373 in Stack's Bowers 2018 NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $3,000. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Penny, 1843. PCGS MS-62 BN Secure Holder. Colon doubled after "REG" on reverse legend. RARE date in mint state. Tied with one other piece at NGC as finest graded. Sharply struck with nice even chocolate brown surfaces and quite attractive. An excellent example of this difficult to locate item." This penny was struck 1838-60 and is fairly common in circulated condition. It shares the same design with the farthing and half penny.
Recorded mintage: 484,000, a rare date.
Specification: 18.8 g, copper.
Catalog reference: S-3948; KM-739.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.