Great Britain 1841 sovereign
This specimen was lot 31246 in Heritage sale 3073 (Chicago, April 2019), where it sold for $15,600. The catalog description noted, "Victoria gold Sovereign 1841 AU55 PCGS. Unbarred As in GRATIA. One of the rarest dates of the entire Sovereign series, and scarcely represented in such lofty preservation; most examples appear heavily circulated, whilst this Almost Uncirculated specimen shows only light wear and a large percentage of its original mint luster (particularly on the reverse). Wyon's young portrait of Victoria is boldly represented with near-complete detail, only minor rubbing to the highest points of her hair, the planchet richly colored with splashes of light orange tone atop its surfaces. Extremely rare, an unmissable opportunity for the serious collector of British Sovereigns, and an opportunity which will likely not arise again anytime soon." This type was struck 1838-72 in large quantities with a slightly modified obverse continuing until 1874. Despite the large mintages, the type is scarce in nice condition.
Recorded mintage: 124,000, a key date.
Specification: 7.99 g, .917 fine gold, .235 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-387e, KM 736.1, S-3852.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 9th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2017.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano and Warren Tucker, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3073, featuring the Lake County Collection of British coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2019.