Great Britain 1826 5 pounds
This specimen was lot 20342 in Ponterio sale 176 (Chicago, August 2013), where it sold for $32,900. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. George IV, 1820-1830. 5 Pounds, 1826. NGC PF Details--Repaired. Rare Brilliant Proof 1826 5 Pounds Bare bust left by William Wyon (unsigned) after Chantrey. Rv. Crowned shield with mantle by Johann Merlen. Lettered edge DECUS ET TUTAMEN ANNO REGNI SEPTIMO. A proof-only issue with a reported 150 examples minted, including variants. A well-engraved uncrowned bust of this extravagant king who served as Regent for nearly a decade before acceding to the throne. The intricate reverse arms are engraved in a Germanic style. The highest denomination in this four-coin gold proof set. The first impression yields a superior Brilliant Proof with bold clarity. Ex: Lubbock, 1984 ANA." The reform of 1817 terminated all guinea-denominated issues in favor of the sovereign. Large size gold issues resumed for the first time since the 1750's, but the two and five pound pieces were minted mostly for presentation.
Recorded mintage: 150 proofs.
Specification: 39.94 g, .917 fine gold, 1.177 troy oz AGW, lettered edge.
Catalog reference: S-3797; Fr-373; KM-702. Wilson & Rasmussen-213.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 9th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2017.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Wilson, Alex, and Mark Rasmussen, English Pattern Trial and Proof Coins in Gold, 1547-1968, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2000.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 177: The August 2013 Chicago ANA Auction, World Coins, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2013.