Great Britain 1826 2 pounds
This specimen was lot 20347 in Ponterio sale 176 (Chicago, August 2013), where it sold for $9,988. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. George IV, 1820-1830. 2 Pounds, 1826. NGC PROOF-63 ULTRA CAMEO. Choice Ultra Cameo 1826 Proof 2 Pounds Bare bust left, William Wyon after Chantrey. Rv. Crowned shield with mantle by Merlen. Lettered edge DECUS ET TUTAMEN ANNO REGNI SEPTIMO. A proof-only issue with a reported 450 examples struck. A distinguished example with beautiful cameo contrast and minimal hairlines. A truly gorgeous coin. Ex: Ponterio, 1984." The reform of 1817 terminated all guinea-denominated issues in favor of the sovereign. Large size gold issues resumed for the first time since the 1750's, but the two and five pound pieces were minted mostly for presentation.
Recorded mintage: 450 proofs.
Specification: 15.97 g, .917 fine gold, .471 troy oz AGW, lettered edge.
Catalog reference: S-3799; Fr-374; KM-701. Wilson & Rasmussen-228.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 9th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2017.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 177: The August 2013 Chicago ANA Auction, World Coins, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2013.