Great Britain 1821 shilling
This specimen was lot 24278 in Heritage sale 3024 (Chicago, April 2013), where it sold for $2,232.50. The catalog description noted, "George IV Shilling 1821, Laureate Head, Crowned Garnished Shield reverse, 1-year type, MS65+ PCGS, fully struck with fabulous surfaces, semi-prooflike luster, and really lovely silvery gold iridescent toning. This date is notoriously difficult to locate in such exquisite condition. Don't be fooled by sellers claiming they have an uncertified gem. This is a gem! From The Kairos Collection." Despite the large mintage, this one year type is scarce in nice condition.
Recorded mintage: 2,463,000 plus proofs.
Specification: 5.65 g, .925 fine silver, .168 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: S-3810, KM 679.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3024, featuring the Kairos and Elizabeth McPhall Charters Collections, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.