Great Britain 1741 half crown
"Great Britain. Halfcrown, 1741. George II. First young laureate draped bust left, GEORGIVS II DEI GRATIA. Reverse: Crowned cruciform shields with roses in the four angles. Inverted die axis. Edge reads: DECVS ET TVTAMEN ANNO REGNI QVARTO in raised letters. A beautifully struck flawless mint state specimen with a stunningly attractive warm golden green and blue iridescent tone over virtually perfect surfaces. A magnificent example of this superb Georgian silver coin. NGC graded MS-64. This splendid coin was produced in the middle of George II's reign. In 1741 Walpole was nearing the end of his tenure and in the following year he stepped down as Prime Minister. George II's attempts to appoint a capable replacement proved problematic over the next few years. Control passed mainly to Henry Pelham, who sanctioned the funds for George's wars, but who was not an especially gifted administrator. In the end George was forced to consider William Pitt (the Elder) who had been a supporter of his son Frederick, and who had formed a clique known as the 'Patriot Boys', a kind of 'brat pack' of the 1740s!"This type was also struck in 1739. After an issue in 1751, no half crowns were issued until after 1800. The mint did not produce near enough small change for the industrial boom of the eighteenth century, leading to a proliferation of private tokens. The situation would not be rectified until the reform of 1817.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 15.05 g, .925 fine silver.
Catalog reference: S.3693; ESC-601; KM-574.3.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 110: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2019.