Great Britain 1709 2 guineas
This specimen was lot 20420 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2020), where it sold for $1,920. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. 2 Guineas, 1709. London Mint. Anne. NGC VF Details--Removed from Jewelry, Tooled. Exhibiting some prior use as a jewelry piece, this specimen nevertheless serves an excellent budget example for a fairly difficult type. All details fairly even and visible." This type was struck in small numbers 1709-14 and all dates are rare today, especially in nice condition. The catalog also records similar one and five guinea gold pieces. Unlike gold issues of the next century, which usually remained in bank vaults, these coins circulated extensively.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 16.7 g, .917 fine gold, .492 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: S-3569; Fr-319; KM-531.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 9th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2017.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Orsini, Matt, Richard Ponterio and Kyle Ponterio, The January 2020 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2019.