Great Britain 1686 half crown
This specimen was lot 72018 in Stack's Bowers Collector's Choice sale (Santa Ana, CA, October 2019), where it sold for $288. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. 1/2 Crown, 1686. James II. NGC VF-20. SECVNDO Edge. Rich, superbly consistent slate gray toning with light iridescence and no marks of note on this highly collectible type." This type was struck 1685-87 during James's brief reign. This example sold for one-third of the catalog value.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 15.05 g, .925 fine silver.
Catalog reference: S-3408; KM-452.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Orsini, Matt, Richard Ponterio and Kyle Ponterio, The October 2019 Collector's Choice Sale: World and Ancient Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2019.