Great Britain 1686 crown
This specimen was lot 31094 in Heritage sale 3073 (Chicago, April 2019), where it sold for $1,140. The catalog description noted, "James II Crown 1686 XF45 PCGS. Highly attractive for the technical grade, as the moderate circulation this coin has encountered is shallow and spread evenly so as to leave no glaring areas of flatness. This element coupled with an absence of notable contact marks (save for one small scratch above James's portrait) and a subtle gold tone has created a striking visual effect far beyond what would expect from an XF45. Not a coin likely to disappoint its next owner. From the Lake County Collection." This one year type is scarce altho tis specimen realized only one fifth of the catalog value.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Catalog reference: KM 457, S-3406, Dav-3778.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano and Warren Tucker, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3073, featuring the Lake County Collection of British coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2019.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns, 1600-1700, Galesburg, IL, 1974.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.