Great Britain 1686 6 pence
This specimen was lot 72020 in Stack's Bowers Collector's Choice sale (Santa Ana, CA, October 2019), where it sold for $576. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. 6 Pence, 1686. London Mint. James II. PCGS AU-53 Gold Shield. Though struck on a somewhat oblong planchet, this piece nevertheless offers charming eye appeal with its steel gray surfaces and hints of goldenrod and cobalt. Some typical haymarking is noted merely for completeness. An overall pleasing minor from this final Catholic monarch for the British Isles. From the Regent Crest Collection." This type was struck 1685-87 during James's brief reign. This example sold for one-third of the catalog value. We also note KM 456.2 for 1687-88.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Catalog reference: S-3412; KM-456.1.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Orsini, Matt, Richard Ponterio and Kyle Ponterio, The October 2019 Collector's Choice Sale: World and Ancient Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2019.