Great Britain 1686 3 pence
This specimen was part of lot 33304 in Heritage sale 3042 (Long Beach, September 2015), which sold for $940. The catalog description noted, "James II Four Coin Maundy Set 1686 XF. A choice Extremely Fine set with light envelope toning. One of the earliest Maundy Sets, and truly outstanding for the period." Silver threepence were struck for James II 1685-88 and are reasonably available. Silver threepence are still struck for the Maundy sets.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 1.50 g, .925 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM 454, S-3418, KM-MDS22 (set).
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World Coin Auction 3042, featuring the Read and Bob Bennett Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.