Great Britain 1685 half crown
This specimen was lot 24910 in Heritage sale 3032 (Chicago, April 2014), where it sold for $4,112.50. The catalog description noted, "James II Halfcrown 1685, AU58 NGC. First laureate bust with 'PRIMO' on edge. Lovely old collector toning with a delightfully sharp strike. James only ruled three years, so all of his coins are scarce. When a Half Crown is this elegant, it is a special offering indeed." This type was issued 1685-87 and is priced rather higher than half crowns of Charles II.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 15.05 g, .925 fine silver.
Catalog reference: S-3408, KM 452.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3032, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.