Great Britain 1685 3 pence
This specimen was lot 33016 in Heritage sale 3064 (Chicago, April 2018), where it sold for $312. The catalog description noted, "James II 3 Pence 1685 MS63 NGC. Fully choice, and currently the top graded example at NCC, this example showcases a full strike and a richly aged silver patina." Silver threepence were struck for James II 1685-88 and are reasonably available. Silver threepence are still struck for the Maundy sets.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 1.50 g, .925 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM 450, S-3415.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World Coin Auction 3042, featuring the Read and Bob Bennett Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.