Germany 1911-E 25 pfennig
This specimen was lot 70528 in Stack's Bowers Collector's Choice sale (Santa Ana, CA, May 2018), where it sold for $40. The catalog description noted, "GERMANY. 25 Pfennig, 1911-E. NGC MS-65. Lustrous and attractive specimen. From the Trebuchet Collection." This coin is a nickel twenty-five pfennig from a type issued 1909-12 from the Berlin (mintmark "A"), Munich (mintmark "D"), Muldenhutten (mintmark "E", shown here), Stuttgart (mintmark "F"), Karlsruhe (mintmark "G") and Hamburg (mintmark "J") mints. Under the German Empire of 1871-1918, the denominations of two mark and up were permitted for the formerly independent principalities while the lower denominations (one pfennig thru one mark) were minted to a unified design. The denomination superseded a copper-nickel twenty pfennig issued 1887-92 and, like the earlier coin, does not seem to have been a success. It is seldom seen compared to the other denominations of the time.
Recorded mintage: 747,000, a better date.
Specification: 4.10 g, nickel, 23 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: KM-18.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 47th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The May 2018 Collector's Choice Sale, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.
- 1910-A 25 pfennig
- Germany 1911-A 5 pfennig
- Germany 1911-J 5 pfennig
- 1911-E half mark
- 1911-E mark
- 1911-F mark
- Baden 1911-G 2 mark
- Baden 1911-G 10 mark
- Baden 1911-G 20 mark
- Bavaria 1911-D 2 mark
- Bavaria 1911-D 5 mark
- Prussia 1911-A 20 mark
- Saxe-Coburg-Gotha 1911-A 2 mark
- Schaumburg-Lippe 1911-A 3 mark death of the count
- Wurttemberg 1911-F 3 mark KM-636 wedding anniversary
- 1913-D 5 pfennig
- 1917-A pfennig
- Coins and currency dated 1911
- return to coins of Germany, Empire (1871-1918)