Germany 1901-A 50 pfennig
This specimen was lot 22350 in Stack's Bowers ANA Auction (Denver, CO, August 2017), where it sold for $258.50. The catalog description noted, "GERMANY. 50 Pfennig, 1901-A. PCGS MS-64. Sharply struck with attractive peripheral toning." This coin is a silver one mark from a type issued 1896-1903 from the Berlin (mintmark "A") and Stuttgart (mintmark "F") mints. Under the German Empire of 1871-1918, the denominations of two mark and up were permitted for the formerly independent principalities while the lower denominations (one pfennig thru one mark) were minted to a unified design. This is a rather scarce type.
Recorded mintage: 194,000 + proofs.
Specification: 2.77 g, .900 fine silver, .080 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM-15.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 47th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Craig, William D., Germanic Coinages: Charlemagne through Wilhelm II, Mountain View, CA: 1954.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2017 Denver ANA Auction: Ancients, Selections from The Richard Stuart Collection & World Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- 1898-A 50 pfennig
- 1899-D mark
- 1900-E 10 pfennig
- Anhalt 1901-A 10 mark
- Anhalt 1901-A 20 mark
- Baden 1901-G 10 mark
- Bavaria 1901-D 5 mark
- Hesse 1901-A 20 mark
- Lubeck 1901-A 10 mark
- Mecklenburg-Schwerin 1901-A 2 mark
- Mecklenburg-Schwerin 1901-A 10 mark
- Mecklenburg-Schwerin 1901-A 20 mark
- Oldenburg 1901-A 5 mark
- Prussia 1901-A 5 mark Dav-789
- Prussia 1901-A 5 mark Dav-790
- Saxe-Altenburg 1901-A 2 mark
- Saxe-Altenburg 1901-A 5 mark Dav-815
- Saxe-Meiningen 1901-D 2 mark
- Saxe-Meiningen 1901-D 5 mark
- Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach 1901-A 20 mark
- 1902-F 50 pfennig
- Coins and currency dated 1901
- return to coins of Germany, Empire (1871-1918)