Germany 1877-B 50 pfennig
This coin is a silver fifty pfennig from a type issued 1877-78 from the Hannover (mintmark "B") mint. Under the German Empire of 1871-1918, the denominations of two mark and up were permitted for the formerly independent principalities while the lower denominations (one pfennig thru one mark) were minted to a unified design. This is a rather better type.
Recorded mintage: 3,096,918 (wreath reverse) plus 3,690,904 (plain reverse).
Specification: 2.77 g, .900 fine silver, .080 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM-8 (shown) and KM 6 (plain reverse).
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Craig, William D., Germanic Coinages: Charlemagne through Wilhelm II, Mountain View, CA: 1954.
- 1876-A 50 pfennig
- 1877-B 2 pfennig
- 1877-C 50 pfennig
- 1877-F 20 pfennig
- 1877-E 50 pfennig
- 1877-F 50 pfennig
- 1877-A mark
- Baden 1877-G 5 mark gold
- Bavaria 1877-D 5 mark gold
- Hamburg 1877-J 5 mark gold
- Prussia 1877-C 5 mark gold
- Saxony 1877-E 5 mark gold
- Wurttemberg 1877-F 5 mark gold
- Germany 1888-G 20 pfennig
- return to coins of Germany, Empire (1871-1918)
- Coins and currency dated 1877