France 1904 20 francs
This specimen was part of lot 22334 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Anaheim, CA, August 2016), which sold for $822.50. The catalog description noted, "FRANCE. Mixed Date 20 Franc, 1887-1904. ANACS MS-62 (2) & ANACS MS-63. 3 pieces in lot dated 1887, 1896 & 1904 respectively. A pair of the Standing Genius type coinage and a Rooster. Choice and nearly choice examples from three different decades of French gold coinage. Decidedly nicer than most surviving examples of the types. AGW of 0.5601." The type was struck in Paris 1899-1906; later issues had the edge lettered LIBERTE+EGALITE+FRATERNITE. American coin dealers refer to these coins as "roosters."
Recorded mintage: 7,705,674.
Specification: 6.45 g, .900 fine gold, 21 mm diameter, edge lettered DIEU PROTEGE LA FRANCE, designed by Jules-Clément Chaplain (1839-1909).
Catalog reference: Fr-596; KM-847; Gad-1064, F.534/9.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 47th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 9th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2017.
- Gadoury, Victor, Monnaies Françaises, 1789-2011, 20me éd., Monaco: Éditions Victor Gadoury, 2011.
- Prieur, Michel, and Laurent Schmitt, Le Franc 10: Les Monnaies, Paris: Éditions les Chevau-légers, 2014.
- Ponterio, Richard, The August 2016 Anaheim ANA Auction: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2016.