France 1903 20 francs
This specimen was lot 1762 in Goldberg sale 112 (Los Angeles, September 2019), where it sold for $288. The catalog description noted, "France. 20 Francs, 1903-A. Third Republic. Rooster. Brilliant Uncirculated." The type was struck in Paris 1899-1906; later issues had the edge lettered LIBERTE+EGALITE+FRATERNITE. American coin dealers refer to these coins as "roosters." Despite the auction description, this type does not bear a mintmark.
Recorded mintage: 4,405,175.
Specification: 6.45 g, .900 fine gold, 21 mm diameter, edge lettered DIEU PROTEGE LA FRANCE, designed by Jules-Clément Chaplain (1839-1909).
Catalog reference: Fr-596; KM-847; Gad-1064, F.534/8.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 47th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 9th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2017.
- Gadoury, Victor, Monnaies Françaises, 1789-2011, 20me éd., Monaco: Éditions Victor Gadoury, 2011.
- Prieur, Michel, and Laurent Schmitt, Le Franc 10: Les Monnaies, Paris: Éditions les Chevau-légers, 2014.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 112: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2019.