France 1864-K 10 centimes
This specimen, struck at the Bordeaux mint, is an example of a Napoleon III "laureate head" ten centimes. Paris ("A") and Strasbourg ("BB") also minted this type. The type was struck in France 1861-65 with a total production of 52 million examples. It is common. Some dates are scarce but none are rare. It was replaced by the Cérès head struck in France 1870-98. This specimen was lot 22317 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Anaheim, CA, August 2016), where it sold for $152.75. The catalog description noted, "FRANCE. 10 Centimes, 1864-K. Bordeaux Mint. NGC MS-64 RB. Population of three with a single coin finer (MS-66) at NGC and PCGS combined. Lowest mintage date from this mint. The nicer of the two identically graded examples offered in the sale, with plenty of red and just enough brown toning to nicely accentuate the design."
Recorded mintage: 3,075,038, commonest date for 1864.
Specification: 10 g, bronze, 30 mm diameter, plain edge, designed by Albert-Desiré Barré and Jean-Jacques Barré.
Catalog reference: F.134/13, KM-798.3; Gad-253.
- Prieur, Michel, and Laurent Schmitt, Le Franc 10: Les Monnaies, Paris: Éditions les Chevau-légers, 2014.
- Ponterio, Richard, The August 2016 Anaheim ANA Auction: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2016.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- 1862-A 10 centimes
- 1864-BB 5 centimes
- 1864-BB 10 centimes
- 1864-A 20 centimes
- 1864-BB 20 centimes
- 1864-A 50 centimes
- 1864-BB 50 centimes
- 1864-A 5 francs
- 1864-A gold 5 francs
- 1864-BB 10 francs d'or
- 1864-A 20 francs d'or
- 1864-BB 20 francs d'or
- 1864-A 50 francs d'or
- 1864-A 100 francs d'or
- 1865-A 10 centimes
- 1874-A 10 centimes "Cérès head"
- Coins and currency dated 1864