France 1864-BB 20 centimes
This specimen was lot 34622 in Ponterio sale 177 (Chicago, August 2013), where it sold for $94. The catalog description noted, "FRANCE. 20 Centimes, 1864-BB. Bordeaux Mint. PCGS AU-53 Secure Holder. Toned." This tiny coin was struck at Strasbourg under the régime of Napoleon III of France (1852-70). It is a rare date of a type struck 1864-66. This type is distinguished from the later type (F.150) of 1867-68 by an increase in diameter from 15 to 16 millimeters. The denomination does not seem to have been popular, as no more were struck for circulation until 1941. Unlike previous types, the fineness was only .835. It was demonetized in 1918.
Recorded mintage: 112,372 (a scarce date).
Specification: 1 g, .835 fine silver, 15 mm diameter, reeded edge. It was designed by Albert-Desiré Barre, 1818-1879.
Catalog reference: KM-805.3; Gad-308, F.149/2.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Prieur, Michel, and Laurent Schmitt, Le Franc 10: Les Monnaies, Paris: Éditions les Chevau-légers, 2014.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 177: The August 2013 Chicago ANA Auction, World Coins, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2013.
- 1857-A 20 centimes
- France 1864-BB 5 centimes
- France 1864-BB 10 centimes
- France 1864-K 10 centimes
- France 1864-A 20 centimes
- France 1864-A 50 centimes
- 1864-BB 50 centimes
- 1864-A 5 francs
- 1864-A gold 5 francs
- 1864-BB 10 francs d'or
- France 1864-A 20 francs d'or
- 1864-BB 20 francs d'or
- France 1864-A 50 francs d'or
- France 1864-A 100 francs d'or
- 1868-BB 20 centimes
- Coins and currency dated 1864
- return to coins of France