France 1864-BB 10 francs
"FRANKREICH, II. Kaiserreich. Napoleon III. 1852-1870. 10 Francs 1864 BB, Strassburg. Vorzüglich-FDC. (France, Second Empire, Napoleon III, ten francs of 1864, Strasbourg mint. Extremely fine-uncirculated.)"This specimen is a slightly better date of a series struck 1862-68 during the régime of Napoleon III of France. All 31 million were struck at the Paris (mintmark "A") and Strasbourg (mintmark "BB") mints. Most dates are readily available altho gems are scarce. A variety of 1864-BB with a large mintmark is rare. This type is commonly called the "Laureate head." After the collapse of Napoleon's empire during the Franco-Prussian War of 1870, it was superseded by the "Cérès head" type of 1895-99. It was officially withdrawn from circulation in 1928 and demonetized in 2005 but ceased to circulate after World War One.
Reported Mintage: 1,527,085, a slightly scarce date.
Specification: 3.22 g, .900 fine gold, 19 mm diameter, reeded edge, designed by Albert Désiré Barré (1818-1878); this specimen 3.22 g.
Catalog reference: Gadoury 1015. Schl. 379. Fr-587, F.507A/7 (small BB), F.507A/8 (large BB).
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 9th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2017.
- Gadoury, Victor, Monnaies Françaises, 1789-2011, 20me éd., Monaco: Éditions Victor Gadoury, 2011.
- Prieur, Michel, and Laurent Schmitt, Le Franc 10: Les Monnaies. Paris: Éditions les Chevau-légers, 2014.
- Bruce, Colin R., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 5th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2006.
- Richter, Jürg, Auction 46, Gold Coins and Medals, Zurich: Sincona AG, 2018.
- 1863-BB 10 francs
- 1864-BB 5 centimes
- 1864-BB 10 centimes
- 1864-K 10 centimes
- 1864-A 20 centimes
- 1864-BB 20 centimes
- 1864-A 50 centimes
- 1864-BB 50 centimes
- 1864-A 5 francs
- 1864-A gold 5 francs
- 1864-BB A francs d'or
- 1864-BB 20 francs d'or
- 1864-A 50 francs d'or
- 1864-A 100 francs d'or
- Coins and currency dated 1864