France 1864-A 20 centimes
The first specimen was lot 416 in Classical Numismatic Group's sale of the Lissner Collection (Chicago, August 2014), where it sold for $290.40. The catalog description noted, "FRANCE, Second Empire. Napoléon III. 1852-1870. AR 20 Centimes à la tête laurée. Paris mint; différents: bee and anchor. Désiré-Albert Barre, engraver general. Renouard de Bussière, director. Dated 1864 A. In NGC encapsulation graded MS 65. Choice toned uncirculated. Purchased from Richard Margolis." This tiny coin was struck at Paris under the régime of Napoleon III of France (1852-70). It is a better date of a type struck 1864 and 1866. This type is distinguished from the later type (F.150) of 1867-68 by an increase in diameter from 15 to 16 millimeters. The denomination does not seem to have been popular, as no more were struck for circulation until 1941. Unlike previous types, the fineness was only .835. It was demonetized in 1918.
Recorded mintage: 268,255.
Specification: 1 g, .835 fine silver, 15 mm diameter, reeded edge. It was designed by Albert-Desiré Barre, 1818-1879; this specimen Ø15 mm, 1.00 g, 6h axis.
Catalog reference: VG 308; KM 805.1, F.149/1.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Gadoury, Victor, Monnaies Françaises, 1789-2011, 20me éd., Monaco: Éditions Victor Gadoury, 2011.
- Prieur, Michel, and Laurent Schmitt, Le Franc 10: Les Monnaies, Paris: Éditions les Chevau-légers, 2014.
- Teller, M. Louis, and Victor England, Jr., The Richard Lissner Collection, Lancaster, PA: Classical Numismatic Group, 2014.
- 1857-A 20 centimes
- 1863-BB 20 centimes
- 1864-BB 20 centimes
- France 1864-BB 5 centimes
- France 1864-BB 10 centimes
- France 1864-K 10 centimes
- France 1864-A 50 centimes
- 1864-BB 50 centimes
- 1864-A 5 francs
- 1864-A gold 5 francs
- 1864-BB 10 francs d'or
- France 1864-A 20 francs d'or
- 1864-BB 20 francs d'or
- France 1864-A 50 francs d'or
- France 1864-A 100 francs d'or
- 1867-A 20 centimes
- Coins and currency dated 1864