France 1864-A 100 francs
This specimen was lot 175 in the Eliasberg sale, where it sold for $2,530. The catalog description noted, "1864 (A) 100 francs. Paris mint. MS-64 (NGC). Superb 1864(A) 100 Francs. Types as above. Satiny medium gold with some deeper highlights. A superb example with excellent lustre. From the John H. Clapp Collection; Clapp estate to Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., 1942." Altho these large gold coins usually trade for little over their bullion value, this "laureate head" hundred francs is not common. During the 1862-70 period of issue, only 97,210 were minted at Paris and Strasbourg together (compared to 346,000 "bare head" 100 francs and 85 million "laureate head" 20 francs).
Recorded mintage: 5,596.
Specification: 32.26 g, .900 fine gold, 35 mm diameter, edge lettered DIEU PROTEGE LA FRANCE, designed by Albert-Desiré Barré (1818-78); this specimen: 32.27 grams, 35.00 mm.
Catalog reference: F.551/4, KM 802.1, Fr-580, Gadoury-263, F.551/4.
- Kraljevich, John, John Pack, Elizabeth O. Piper and Frank Van Valen, The Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. Collection of World Gold Coins and Medals, Wolfboro, NH: American Numismatic Rarities, 2005.
- Gadoury, Victor, Monnaies Françaises, 1789-2011, 20me éd., Monaco: Éditions Victor Gadoury, 2011.
- Prieur, Michel, and Laurent Schmitt, Le Franc 10: Les Monnaies, Paris: Éditions les Chevau-légers, 2014.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 9th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2017.
- 1862-BB 100 francs
- 1864-BB 5 centimes
- 1864-BB 10 centimes
- 1864-A 20 centimes
- 1864-BB 20 centimes
- 1864-A 50 centimes
- 1864-A gold 5 francs
- 1864-BB 10 francs d'or
- 1864-A 20 francs d'or
- 1864-BB 20 francs d'or
- 1864-A 50 francs d'or
- 1866-A 100 francs
- Coins and currency dated 1864
- other specimens in The Eliasberg Collection