Cundinamarca 1821-Ba JF 8 reales
"Colombia - Republic. 8 Reales, 1821-BA-JF (Bogotá). Indian portrait type. Head of Indian left, wearing feathered headdress. Reverse: Pomegranate; value flanking. Good even strike. Fields with satiny to smooth luster. Light smokey tone, with a few hints of violet. Extremely Rare in high grade. This example ranks among the finest known. NGC graded MS-61. This coin was issued by the state of Cundinamarca, even though it says Republic of Colombia on the obverse. This occurred because the provinces of Colombia had not yet united to form the Republic of Greater Colombia, and individual states were still issuing their own coins. Independence was already a foregone conclusion, but details had not yet coalesced. This is one of the more common coins in lower grades, yet exceptionally rare in choice condition."The second specimen was part of lot 44069 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Philadelphia, August 2018), where it sold for $660. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. A pair of Nueva Granada 8 Reales marked with oval countermarks for Cundinamarca, both graded by PCGS. Included are 1820-JF. VG-10, C/M VF Detail; 1821-Ba-JF. F-12, C/M VF Detail. (Total: 2 pieces). From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian Coins." This type was struck 1820-21 and was preceded by the similar "LIBERTAD AMERICANA" struck 1819-20 (see KM 78).
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 23 g, .666 fine silver, .492 troy oz ASW; the first specimen: 23.05 grams.
Catalog reference: the first specimen: WR-8; Eliz-18; KM 6; Restrepo 157.4; the second specimen: KM 73, Restrepo 157.4r.
- Goldberg, Ira, and Larry Goldberg, Goldberg Sale 46: the Millenia Collection, Beverly Hills, CA: Ira and Larry Goldberg Auctioneers, 2008.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Elizondo, Carlos A., Eight Reales and Pesos of the New World, San Antonio, TX: 1968.
- Raymond, Wayte, The Silver Dollars of North and South America, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1964.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2018 Philadelphia ANA Auction: World Coins and Selections from the El Dorado Collection of Colombian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.
- Cundinamarca 1820-JF 8 reales
- 1821 ¼ real
- 1821-BA ¼ real
- 1821-BA ¼ real
- Cundinamarca 1821-Ba JF 1/2 real
- Cundinamarca 1821-Ba JF real
- Cundinamarca 1821-Ba JF 2 reales
- Peru 1821-L JP 8 reales
- Ecuador (1831) 8 reales MDQ countermark
- Coins and currency dated 1821
- other specimens in The Millenia Collection.
- return to coins of Colombia