Colombia 1757-NR SJ 4 escudos
This specimen was lot 11309 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $1,920. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1757-SJ 4 Escudos. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Ferdinand VI (1746-1759). AU Detail — Cleaned (PCGS). Medium yellow gold, a bit more deeply toned at the peripheries. Boldly struck with excellent centering. Both sides retain good luster despite the light cleaning, which has left some hairlines and brightness but has not significantly harmed the aesthetic appeal. A rare issue in any grade, this example may be among the finest examples surviving today. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins. From American Numismatic Rarities' sale of the Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. Collection, April 2005, lot 1455. Earlier, from Watkins Coin Company, July 1943." This type was struck at Bogotá 1755-59 and at Popayán 1758-60. Unlike later dates (after 1772), these early issues are rare.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.53 g, .917 fine gold, .399 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-10827, KM 31.1, Fr-17, Restrepo M20.4.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 9th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2017.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.