Colombia 1757-NR J escudo
"Rare 1757-J Escudo of Bogotá. COLOMBIA. 1757-J Escudo. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Ferdinand VI (1746-1759). EF-40 (PCGS). Pleasing yellow gold with deeper toning around the peripheries. Sharp and pleasing, with just one short old scratch in the right obverse field. A rare issue, among the earliest milled issues of this denomination from Colombia following its 1756 debut. Restrepo doesn't list a 1757-S from this mint, though one was offered in the April 2015 Cayón sale. This issue likely followed that directly. This piece is plated in Restrepo with an image taken from a Glendining's catalog of indeterminate date, likely the auction from which the Norwebs acquired it. Historic and elusive. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian Coins. Ex. Spink America's sale of the Norweb Collection, March 1997, lot 289 (part)."This specimen is one of a series struck 1756-59 at the Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 3.38 g, .917 fine gold, .098 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-10722, Restrepo 12.3, KM-29.1, Fr-21.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 9th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2017.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2018 Philadelphia ANA Auction: World Coins and Selections from the El Dorado Collection of Colombian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.