Colombia 1730-SF S escudo
This specimen was lot 20333 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Anaheim, CA, August 2016), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. Escudo, 1730-S. Philip V (1701-46). NGC VF-30. Assayer Jose Sanchez de la Torre. Restrepo states (page 22) that hammered gold Escudo coinage is far less often encountered than the larger 2 Escudo and thus more highly prized. Crudely made as are all of the cob coinage from this era, but with far more readable information than normally seen. Clear 4 digit date, full cross and very bold PHILIP in the legends, reasonably well centered, and with a decent strike for the type. Notable for an absence of problems and fully original surfaces." We can't see the mintmark in the photos shown here so we're guessing that it's SF, not FS as appears on other issues. Milled coinage commenced in 1756.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 3.38 g, .917 fine gold, .099 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-9566; Fr-9; KM-22 (for type, date unlisted); Restrepo-type-M78; Cal-Type-112#535.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 9th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2017.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008
- Ponterio, Richard, The August 2016 Anaheim ANA Auction: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2015.