Colombia 1722-NR SAN 4 reales
"Very Rare 1722-SAN 4 Reales. The Restrepo and Calicó Plate Coin. COLOMBIA. 1722-SAN 4 Reales. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Philip V (1700-1746). XF Detail — Plugged (PCGS). Struck on a broad planchet and toned down to near ebony, this is among the sharpest and most attractive specimens of this elusive type. The obverse striking is crisp, leaving the 4 denomination to left, S assayer mark to right, and mintmark at lower center all neat and legible. The plug is located below and right of the base of the right pillar and was clearly accomplished a very long time ago. Some peen marks and roughness above the shield on the reverse remain from the repair, but that side is otherwise very attractive, with a clear SAN assayer left of the shield, IIII denomination to right, and ILIPVS V name around the lower periphery. This coin is plated in Calicó (where all three Philip V 4 Reales of Santa Fe are called "rarisima") and in Restrepo. Of the highest rarity, this would be a highlight in any specialized collection of this denomination. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins."This type is also known dated 1721.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 14.34 g, .931 fine silver, this specimen 13.69 grams.
Catalog reference: Cayón-9017, Restrepo M74.4, KM 20.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.