Colombia 1676-NR OLM 4 reales
"Impressive 1676-OLM 4 Reales. Plated in Restrepo and Restrepo-Lasser. COLOMBIA. 1676-OLM 4 Reales. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Carlos II (1665-1700). VF Detail — Tooled (PCGS). Light silver gray with choice surfaces on a broad, round planchet. All of HISPANIARVM is visible at the right obverse periphery, and CARO of CAROLVS is legible on the reverse. At central obverse, the date and assayer are plain, though the mintmark is a bit less distinct. The tooling mentioned by PCGS is deep scrapes that parallel each of the pillars, serving to outline them to their left and right. The denomination is clear on the reverse, as is much of the shield detail, and the planchet is broad enough to allow most of the crown to be visible. An impressive piece, displaying eye appeal as exceptional as its rarity. The OLM assayer mark is known only on coins dated 1676. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins."This type was issued from Bogotá intermittently 1666-93 and all dates are listed as "Rare" in the SCWC.
This is the only date listed for assayer OLM, who also issued eight reales that year.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.54 g, .931 fine silver, .405 troy oz ASW, this specimen 13.17 grams.
Catalog reference: Cayón no. 7442, Restrepo M60.4, KM 11.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.