Colombia 1662-NR PoRS 8 reales
This specimen was lot 11042 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $4,560. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1662-PoRS 8 Reales. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Philip IV (1621-1665). AU-50 (PCGS). Another exceptional specimen, plated in an older edition of Calicó (#497, page 38) and in Elizondo. Choice light silver gray surfaces are original and glossy. The obverse is almost entirely crisp, just a little doubled on the assayer and mintmark. The Z-shaped 2 in the date is plain, if a bit ill defined. The reverse shows an especially clear pomegranate right of the shield. The shield and denomination are both a bit affected by doubling, but the crown is quite crisp. The surfaces are notably problem free. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins. From the Carlos A. Elizondo, Jr. Collection, before 1971." This type was struck 1651-65, all dates are noted as rare. Assayer POR (sometimes PORS, as here) is known for 1651-69.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .931 fine silver, .405 troy oz ASW, this specimen 26.78 grams.
Catalog reference: Cayón-6555, Restrepo M46.28, KM 7.1.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.