Colombia 1653-NR PoRS 8 reales
This specimen was lot 11034 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $1,020. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1653-PoRS 8 Reales. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Philip IV (1621-1665). VF Detail — Salt Water Damage (PCGS). Dusky charcoal gray surfaces are granular from sea exposure but retain excellent detail. The top half of the date is soft but all four digits remain visible and legible. The assayer and mintmark are sharp. The reverse centering is aligned to 12:00, so none of the crown is present and the top half of the shield is poorly struck, but the denomination on the left and the tiny cross on the right are clear. Some striations are seen on both sides, and a bit of surface scale is present but mostly blends in. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins." This type was struck intermittently 1651-65. For 1653, we see assayers PORMS, PORS, PORAS and P.OMS, who may all be one person or at most two.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .931 fine silver, .405 troy oz ASW, this specimen 23.55 grams.
Catalog reference: Restrepo M46.14, KM 7.1.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.