China 1987-P 5 yuan KM-159
This specimen was lot 71260 in Stack's Bowers Collector's Choice sale (Santa Ana, CA, October 2019), where it sold for $90. The catalog description noted, "CHINA. 5 Yuan, 1987-P. Panda Series. NGC PROOF-68 Ultra Cameo. A captivating piece, yielding lightly frosted devices and extremely brilliant fields for a wonderful cameo effect." The Chinese government has, since the mid 1980's, produced a mind boggling array of bullion related collectibles. A complete set is thousands of types yet buyers clamor for more. The first gold panda was issued in 1983 and quickly became an annual release. At the beginning, there was little market in China for these and they were not popular in the United States, so the mintages were low.
Recorded mintage: 10,000 with the "P" mintmark plus more struck at Shanghai and Shenyang.
Specification: 1.56 g, .999 fine gold, 22.4 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: Fr-B8; KM-159.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 47th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Anthony, Peter, Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyers Guide, 3rd Ed., Los Angeles, 2017.
- Orsini, Matt, Richard Ponterio and Kyle Ponterio, The October 2019 Collector's Choice Sale: World and Ancient Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2019.
- China 1987 10 yuan KM-187 silver panda
- China 1987-Y 10 yuan, 1/10 oz gold panda
- China 1987 10 yuan KM-169, silver Year of the Rabbit
- China 1987-S 25 yuan, ¼ oz gold panda
- China 1987-Y 25 yuan, ¼ oz gold panda
- 1987-S 50 yuan, ½ oz gold panda, Shanghai mint
- China 1987-Y 50 yuan, ½ oz gold panda
- China 1987 50 yuan KM-170, silver Year of the Rabbit
- China 1987 100 yuan KM-177, 125th birthday of Zhan Tianyou
- China 1987-S 100 yuan KM-A163, 1 oz platinum panda
- China 1987-S 100 yuan, 1 oz gold panda
- China 1987-Y 100 yuan, 1 oz gold panda
- 1987 500 yuan, 5 oz gold panda
- 1987 1000 yuan, 12 oz gold panda
- Coins and currency dated 1987