Chile 1804-So FJ 4 escudos
This specimen was lot 30581 in Heritage sale 3064 (Chicago, April 2018), where it sold for $5,040. The catalog description noted, "Charles IV gold 4 Escudos 1804 So-FJ AU58 NGC, Santiago mint. One of the rarest dates within the series, with a mintage of just 255 specimens, this impressive near-mint example offers a great deal of remaining luster and little evidence of actual wear. The only issue of the date graded by NGC, and one which undoubtedly will generate tremendous enthusiasm from collectors of Latin American rarities. Quality not likely to be seen again." This type was struck at Santiago thru 1808 in very small quantities.
Recorded mintage: 255.
Specification: 13.53 g, .875 fine gold, .380 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-14417, KM 62, Fr-26.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 9th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2017.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3064, featuring the Doug Robins Collection of Canadian Tokens, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2018.