Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel 1915-A 3 mark KM-1161
The first specimen was lot 23864 in Heritage sale 3020, where it sold for $3,290. The catalog description noted, "Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel. Ernst August 3 Mark 1915-A, Proof 65 Cameo NGC, rare first type without U LUNEB added to the obverse legend. Brilliant mirror surfaces with just a hint of emerging patina in the legends." This type is rare. The obverse was modified later in the issue to add "u. Luneb." (see KM 1162).
Recorded mintage: 1,700 plus a few proofs.
Specification: 16.66 g, .900 fine silver, 33 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: Dav-471, KM 1161.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns and Talers, Since 1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1964.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 47th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Craig, William D., Germanic Coinages: Charlemagne through Wilhelm II, Mountain View, CA: 1954.
- Tucker, Warren, and Cris Bierrenbach, Heritage Signature Auction 3020: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.
- Baden 1915-G 3 mark
- Mecklenburg-Schwerin 1915-A 3 mark
- Prussia 1915-A 3 mark, Mansfeld centennial
- Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach 1915-A 3 mark centennial of the grand duchy
- 1915 5 mark without "u. Luneb."
- 1915 5 mark with "u. Luneb."
- Coins and currency dated 1915
- return to coins of German States, Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel