Bolivia 1768-PTS JR 8 reales
"Bolivia. 8 Reales, 1768 PTS-JR (Potosi). Charles III, 1759-1788. Pillar coinage. Crowned Bourbon arms. Reverse: Crowned globes flanked by crowned and bannered pillars, over water. Bold, exceptionally full strike, with crisp devices on satiny to reflective fields. Some light handling marks, mostly on reverse. Very lightly toned. Among the finer Pillar coins of Bolivia, and very rare in this grade. NGC graded MS-62. Issued by the Spanish King Charles III and a coin of the realm for the Americas. Bolivian pillars began in 1767, a very late start compared with a 1732 onset in Mexico. The series lasted only four years, ending with the 1770 issue, which was the most plentiful. Coins of the previous years range from rare to scarce."
This type was struck 1767-70 and is fairly available in circulated condition. Gilboy lists this date as "scarce" whereas the 1769 is "normal" and the 1770 is "common." There is a rare variety with a six petalled flower at the bottom of the shield side; the specimen shown has a normal four petalled flower.
Recorded mintage: 437,000.
Specification: 27.07 g, .917 fine silver, .798 troy oz ASW; this specimen: 26.96 grams.
Catalog reference: Cayón-11961, WR-13; Eliz-3; KM 50, Gilboy P-8-2.
- Goldberg, Ira, and Larry Goldberg, Goldberg Sale 46: the Millenia Collection, Beverly Hills, CA: Ira and Larry Goldberg Auctioneers, 2008.
- Elizondo, Carlos A., Eight Reales and Pesos of the New World, San Antonio, TX: 1968.
- Gilboy, Frank F., The Milled Columnarios of Central and South America: Spanish American Pillar Coinage, 1732 to 1772, Regina, Saskatchewan: Prairie Wind Publishing, 1999.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.