Bolivia (1577-85)-P C 8 reales
This specimen was lot 567 in Sedwick Treasure Auction 28 (Winter Park, FL, November 2020), where it sold for $3,120. The catalog description noted, "Potosi, Bolivia, cob 8 reales, Philip II, assayer C below erasure, very rare, ex-Jones (Plate Coin). Exceptionally broad flan (almost 1-3/4") that extends beyond the outer border of dots in places (like above the full crown, which is most unusual), with bold full legends and inner details, all deeply toned with a slight hint of surface oxidation here and there and very minor doubling, AXF overall and highly sought as the rare issue of assayer C using dies from 2nd-period B ("Great Module"), whose initial is believed to be inside the erasure. Pedigreed to the Dr. Peter Jones collection, plated on page 166 of his book The First Coins of the Americas (2020)." The mountains around Potosi contained enormous amounts of high grade silver ore, a situation the Spanish were not slow to exploit. A mint was set up in the 1570's to process the silver mined there. The early products of the reign of Philip II are fairly good quality but rot set in during the following reign, including fraudulent debasement. This undated type, among the first products of the mint at Potosi, comes in many varieties and assayers (A, A/B, B, B/R, C, L and M).
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, 0.931 fine silver, this specimen 27.03 grams.
Catalog reference: S-P5; KM-5.1; Cal-671, Cayón-3934.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Menzel, Sewall, Cobs, Pieces of Eight and Treasure Coins, New York: The American Numismatic Society, 2004.
- Sedwick, Daniel Frank, Augi Garcia and Cori Sedwick Downing, Treasure Auction 28, featuring the Dr. Peter Jones and John O'Brien collections, Winter Park, FL: Daniel Frank Sedwick LLC, 2020.