Bolivia (1577-85)-P B 8 reales
This specimen was lot 562 in Sedwick Treasure Auction 28 (Winter Park, FL, November 2020), where it sold for $1,140. The catalog description noted, "Potosi, Bolivia, cob 8 reales, Philip II, assayer B (2nd period), "Great Module," ex-Jones (Plate Coin). Nice VF with 100% full inner details and crown as well as nearly full legends on a typically broad flan, with contrasting toning in crevices, odd spot of extra metal (as made) near edge at about 8 o'clock on reverse, die-match with Sellschopp #148 (Paoletti #66). Pedigreed to the Dr. Peter Jones collection, plated on page 167 of his book The First Coins of the Americas (2020), and to our Auction 20, with original lot-tag #736." The mountains around Potosi contained enormous amounts of high grade silver ore, a situation the Spanish were not slow to exploit. A mint was set up in the 1570's to process the silver mined there. The early products of the reign of Philip II are fairly good quality but rot set in during the following reign, including fraudulent debasement. This undated type, among the first products of the mint at Potosi, comes in many varieties and assayers (A, A/B, B, B/R, C, L and M). This example has a ring of dots around the tressure; Cayón-3928 has a ring of "x's". Cayón-3930 has the lions and castles reversed.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, 0.931 fine silver, this specimen 27.21 grams.
Catalog reference: S-P6; KM-5.1; Cal-672, Cayón-3926.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Sedwick, Daniel Frank, Augi Garcia and Cori Sedwick Downing, Treasure Auction 28, featuring the Dr. Peter Jones and John O'Brien collections, Winter Park, FL: Daniel Frank Sedwick LLC, 2020.