Bolivia (1574-76)-P R 1/4 real
This specimen was lot 20248 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Anaheim, CA, August 2016), where it sold for $1,410. The catalog description noted, "BOLIVIA. 1/4 Real, ND (1574-76). Philip II (1556-98). NGC VF-25. VERY SCARCE. Assayer R(Rincon) to right, mintmark P to left, and with both letters very clear. Sharp crisp castle obverse device and rampant lion reverse. A nearly round, well centered and high quality example that is far nicer than the few others encountered of the type. Fully original with medium tone and handsome gray silver surfaces on the high points." This is the only issue of silver cuartillas from Bolivia during the cob period. The next issue of cuartillas was the lions and castles type commencing in 1796, over two centuries later. We suspect, but cannot prove, that base metal tokens filled the gap, to the profit of the local merchants that issued them. Assayer M is also recorded but not priced in the SCWC.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 0.84 grams, 0.931 fine silver, .025 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: Cayón no. 3367, KM A0001, cf.Cal-Type-443#770.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Menzel, Sewall, Cobs, Pieces of Eight and Treasure Coins, New York: The American Numismatic Society, 2004.
- Ponterio, Richard, The August 2016 Anaheim ANA Auction: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2016.