Bavaria 1908-D 5 mark
"DEUTSCHLAND Bayern, Königreich Otto, 1886-1913. 5 Mark 1908. Polierte Platte. FDC. (Kingdom of Bavaria, Otto, 1886-1913, five mark of 1908, proof.)"This type was struck intermittently 1891-1913 and most dates are common. Otto's brother, Ludwig II, was deposed in 1886 and died a week later under very suspicious circumstances. Otto was also insane and was placed under a regency which lasted until his death in 1913.
Recorded mintage: 537,000.
Specification: 27.77 g, .900 fine silver, 38 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: Dav-618, J. 46. KM 512.1.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 47th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Craig, William D., Germanic Coinages: Charlemagne through Wilhelm II, Mountain View, CA: 1954.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns and Talers, Since 1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1964.
- Numismatic Coins, Medals, Banknotes & Books: Auction 9, Zurich: SINCONA AG, 2012.
- 1906 5 mark
- 1908-D ½ mark
- 1908-D mark
- Baden 1908-G 5 mark
- Hamburg 1908-J 10 mark
- Lubeck 1908-A 5 mark
- Prussia 1908-A 2 mark
- Prussia 1908-A 5 mark Dav-789
- Prussia 1908-A 20 mark
- Saxe-Meiningen 1908-D 3 mark
- Saxe-Meiningen 1908-D 5 mark Dav-841
- Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach 1908 2 mark Jena University
- Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach 1908-A 5 mark Jena University
- Saxony 1908-E 5 mark
- 1911 5 mark
- 1914 5 mark
- Coins and currency dated 1908
- return to coins of German States, Bavaria