Australia 1909-M sovereign
This specimen was lot 50025 in Ponterio sale 168 (Philadelphia, August 2012), where it sold for $423. The catalog description noted, "AUSTRALIA. Sovereign, 1909-M. NGC MS-62." This date, from a type struck 1902-10 at Perth, Melbourne (shown here) and Sydney, is common.
Recorded mintage: 3,029,000.
Specification: 7.98 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: Fr-33; KM-15.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 47th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- McDonald, Greg, The Pocket Guide to Australian Coins and Banknotes, 23rd ed., Lavington, Australia, 2017.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 168: The Official ANA Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2012.