Argentina 1884 1/2 argentino
The first specimen was lot 1016 in the Eliasberg sale, where it sold for $3,220. The catalog description noted, "1884 2 1/2 pesos. AU-58 (NGC). Types as above. Bright yellow gold with rich highlights, reflective fields on the reverse. This issue is the more common of the two dates of this type. Only 421 pieces were struck, yet only 9 specimens were struck of the 1881. Quite scarce. From the John H. Clapp Collection; Clapp estate to Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., 1942." The second specimen was lot 2582 in SINCONA sale 1 (Zurich, June 2011), where it sold for 3500 CHF ($4,873 including buyer's fee). The catalog description noted, "ARGENTINA Republic. 2 ½ Pesos 1884. Extremely fine."
Recorded mintage: 421.
Specification: 4.03 g, .900 fine gold, .116 troy oz AGW; the first specimen: 4.03 grams, 19.30 mm diameter; the second specimen 4,01 g.
Catalog reference: Fr-16, KM 30.
- Kraljevich, John, John Pack, Elizabeth O. Piper and Frank Van Valen, The Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., Collection of World Gold Coins and Medals, Wolfboro, NH: American Numismatic Rarities, 2005.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 9th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2017.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 47th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Janson, Hector Carlos, La Moneda Circulante En El Territorio Argentino, 1767-1998, Buenos Aires, 1998.
- SINCONA AG, Munzen, Medaillen & Banknoten Auktion 1, Zurich, 2011.