Mexico 1838-Pi JS 8 reales
This specimen was lot 39419 in Stack's Bowers Winter sale (Baltimore, November 2015), where it sold for $411.25. The catalog description noted, "MEXICO. 8 Reales, 1838-PiJS. NGC AU-58. Glowing luminescence from between the rays that contrasts nicely with the darker toned high points on the coin. Exceptionally attractive, especially at this grade level." This specimen was struck at the San Luis Potosi mint in 1838. This mint opened in 1827 and operated until 1893 and struck silver and copper denominations but never gold. This date is common in circulated condition. Assayer JS is recorded for 1827-42.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .903 fine silver, .786 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: DP-Pi13; KM-377.12.
- Buttrey, T. V., and Clyde Hubbard, A Guide Book of Mexican Coins, 1822 to date, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 1992.
- Dunigan, Mike, and J. B. Parker, Resplandores: Cap and Ray 8 Reales of The Republic of Mexico, 1823-1897, Beverly Hills, CA: Superior Stamp & Coin, 1997.
- Harper, David C. [Ed.], North American Coins & Prices, 17th Ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2007.
- Elizondo, Carlos A., Eight Reales and Pesos of the New World, San Antonio, TX: 1968.
- Raymond, Wayte, The Silver Dollars of North and South America, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1964.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Todd McKenna, The November 2015 Baltimore Auction, World Coins and Paper Money, featuring the Ray Czabor Collection and selections from the Strong Museum, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2015.
- 1837-Pi 8 reales
- Tuxtla 1838 1/4 real, fantasy or salesman's sample
- 1838-GA ½ real
- 1838/7-GO ½ real
- 1838-MO ½ real
- 1838-ZS real
- 1838-GO 2 reales
- 1838-DO 8 reales
- 1838-GA 8 reales
- 1838-CA 8 reales
- 1838-GO 8 reales
- 1838-ZS 8 reales
- 1838-DO ½ escudo
- 1838-DO escudo
- 1838-GO 4 escudos
- 1838-DO 8 escudos
- 1838-GO 8 escudos
- 1838-MO 8 escudos
- 1839-PI 8 reales
- Coins and currency dated 1838
- return to Silver eight reales of Mexico, 1822-1897