Colombia 1730 S 2 escudos
This specimen was lot 24358 in Heritage sale 3026 (Long Beach, October 2013), where it sold for $2,115. The catalog description noted, "Felipe V gold Cob 2 Escudos 1730(S), XF45 NGC, quite bold for this crude coinage with a clearly visible date (730) in the reverse legend. Additionally, the mintmaster 'S' is somewhat readable to the right of the coat of arms as is a tiny portion of the mintmark. Rarely available with such a clear date." This type was issued from Bogotá 1717-46. Specimens with legible dates are worth double those without. Many have been made into jewelry and sold as "pirate gold."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.77 g, .917 fine gold, .199 troy oz.
Catalog reference: KM 17.2, Fr-8.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3026, World & Ancient Coins, featuring the RLM Collection, Part Two, the Nogales Collection and the Goetz Medals Die Archive, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.