Zitacuaro 1811 8 reales
This specimen was lot 1107 in Goldberg sale 46 (Beverly Hills, May 2008), where it sold for $55,000. The catalog description noted, "Mexico - War of Independence. Insurgent Coinage. Zitacuaro 8 Reales, 1811. Struck coinage, under the Supreme National Congress of America. Crowned eagle atop cactus cluster, the whole over a bridge. Reverse: Hand clasping bow and arrow, spear, arrow, quiver and sling below. Some double striking apparent in obverse legends, otherwise fabulous quality for this struck coin. Of the highest rarity. NGC graded AU-55. Besides the plentiful Morelos issues, particularly in base metal, other insurgent leaders 'melted or minted their own coins.' Notable for both their importance and variety are those issued by the Zitacuaro Junta. A 'Supreme National Junta' was established at Zitacuaro, Michoacán, on August 19, 1811 - apparently not wholly under the auspices of Morelos, since their coins carry an inscription of appeasement: 'FERDIN. VII. DEI. GRATIA.' Of singular importance with these issues is that the Mexican national emblem of an eagle, perched on a cactus plant, appears for the first time."
This scarce type was issued 1811-12 in Michoacan. This type is not plated in the SCWC; the specimen here is better than either plate coin shown in the SCWC for KM 206 or 208.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: struck silver, this specimen 22.96 grams.
Catalog reference: Eliz-MX120; Wr-36; KM 207.
- Goldberg, Ira, and Larry Goldberg, Goldberg Sale 46: the Millenia Collection, Beverly Hills, CA: Ira and Larry Goldberg Auctioneers, 2008.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Elizondo, Carlos A., Eight Reales and Pesos of the New World, San Antonio, TX: 1968.
- Raymond, Wayte, The Silver Dollars of North and South America, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1964.
- 1811-MO ¼ real
- 1811-MO ½ real
- Oaxaca (1811-14) 1/2 real KM-219 Morelos
- Zacatecas "LVO" 1811 ½ real
- 1811-MO real
- Sombrerete 1811 real
- Zacatecas 1811 "LVO" real
- 1811-D 2 reales
- Oaxaca 1811 2 reales
- Monclova 1811 8 reales "MVA" countermark
- Nueva Viscaya 1811 8 reales
- Zacatecas "LVO" 1811 2 reales, date inverted
- Zacatecas "LVO" 1811 2 reales, date upright
- Zacatecas 1811 2 reales, imaginary bust
- 1811-MO 8 reales, imaginary bust
- 1811-MO 8 reales, standard bust
- Zacatecas "LVO" 8 reales, municipal arms
- Zacatecas "LVO" 8 reales, royal arms
- Zacatecas 8 reales, imaginary bust
- 1811-MO escudo
- 1811-MO 4 escudos
- 1811-MO HJ 8 escudos
- 1811-MO JJ 8 escudos
- Oaxaca 1812 8 reales
- Zacatecas 1812 8 reales KM 190
- Mexico 1813 4 reales KM-214 Supreme National Congress
- 1814 8 reales
- Coins and currency dated 1811
- other specimens in The Millenia Collection.
- return to Mexican colonial coinage, 1536-1822