Viterbo 1796 2-1/2 baiocchi
This type is listed for 1796 only and was struck in Viterbo. The French invasion of 1795 dislocated the economic system, causing the paper currency to collapse and hard money to go into hiding. The pope was forced to issue 2½ and five baiocchi pieces as emergency money. Temporary branch mints operated 1795-97 to cope with the demand. After 1830, five quattrini = one baiocco; 100 baiocchi = one scudo. In 1866, the currency was reformed to use centesimi and lire in order to match that of the surrounding kingdom of Italy. In 1870, the Papal States were occupied and annexed by the kingdom of Italy and coinage ceased until 1929. The second specimen was lot 1322 in Stephen Album sale 30 (Santa Rosa, CA, January 2018), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "PAPAL STATES: Pius VI, 1775-1799, AE 2½ baiocchi, Viterbo, 1796, KM-2, a lovely example with much red original luster, NGC graded MS63 RB."
Recorded mintage: unknown but scarce.
Specification: 25.2 g, copper.
Catalog reference: KM 2, Ber-3153.
- Berman, Allen G., Papal Coins, South Salem, NY: Attic Books, 1991.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Album, Stephen, Joseph Lang, Paul Montz, Michael Barry and Norman Douglas Nicol, Auction 30, featuring the George Anderson Collection of Tibetan Coins, the Dr. John W. Lund Collection of Swedish Coins and the Mike Edwards Collection, Santa Rosa, CA: Stephen Album Rare Coins, Inc., 2018.
- 1795 2½ baiocchi
- (1796) baiocco, Ancona mint
- 1796 2 bolognini
- 1796 2½ baiocchi, Ancona mint
- 1796 2½ baiocchi, Civitavecchia mint
- 1796 2½ baiocchi, Fermo mint
- 1796 2½ baiocchi, Gubbio mint
- 1796 2½ baiocchi, Pergola mint
- 1796 2½ baiocchi, Perugia mint
- 1796 2½ baiocchi, Rome mint
- 1796 2½ baiocchi, San Severino mint
- 1796 testone
- 1796 60 baiocchi
- (1797) 2 baiocchi
- Coins and currency dated 1796
- return to coins of the Papal States