Vatican City 1929 50 centesimi
"ITALY. Vatican City. Nine Piece Mint Set, 1929. ICG AU-50 Details--Cleaned to MS-65. KM-MS1 (KM-1-9). The catalog numbers tell the story here, the set is the first coinage issued from the Vatican after the signing of the Lateran Treaty which granted the Vatican a large degree of autonomy in exchange for papal recognition of the Mussolini government. Earlier issues were considered Papal States coinage, none having been issued since 1870 under Pope Pius IX prior to the issuance of these coins in 1929. The independence of the Vatican was later confirmed by succeeding democratic governments and was included in the post-war constitution signed in late 1947. An historically significant set of coins. Encapsulated by ICG, with a few of the pieces exhibiting minor issues such as cleaning or traces of corrosion. Overall a wholesome set, the plush leather case of issue is included. Inspection advised."Normal relations with the Italian government were not restored until Mussolini signed a concordat in 1929, granting the Pope sovereignty over Vatican City. Coinage began that year, struck at the Rome mint. Coins are issued for the Vatican City in symbolic amounts but as they are eagerly saved as souvenirs by tourists, they are not in short supply for collectors. This type, struck 1929-37 for Pius XI, is common as Papal coins go. The Vatican fifty centesimi was reduced to stainless steel in 1940 and then terminated in 1946. The lira was retired in 1999 when Italy joined the euro.
Recorded mintage: 10,000.
Specification: nickel, 24 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: KM-4, Ber-3358.
- Berman, Allen G., Papal Coins, South Salem, NY: Attic Books, 1991.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Ponterio, Richard, The August 2016 Anaheim ANA Auction: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2016.
- Vatican City 1929 5 centesimi
- Vatican City 1929 10 centesimi
- Vatican City 1929 20 centesimi
- Vatican City 1929 lira
- Vatican City 1929 2 lire
- Vatican City 1929 5 lire
- Vatican City 1929 10 lire
- Vatican City 1929 100 lire
- Vatican City 1934 50 centesimi
- Coins and currency dated 1929
- return to coins of the Vatican