Tuscany 1859 fiorino
The first specimen was lot 5775 in Goldberg sale 72 (Los Angeles, February 2013), where it sold for $264.50. The catalog description noted, "Italian States - Tuscany. Florino, 1859. First Provisional Government. NGC graded MS-62." The second specimen was lot 541 in Classical Numismatic Group's sale of the Lissner Collection (Chicago, August 2014), where it sold for $968. The catalog description noted, "ITALY, Toscana. Primo Governo Provvisioro. 1859. AR Fiorino. Firenze (Florence) mint; segno: coat-of-arms. Luigi Gori, engraver. Conte Luigi Guicciardini, director. Dated 1859. In NGC encapsulation graded MS 66. Moderate toning over gem lustrous surfaces. An exceptional beauty. None graded higher. Purchased from M. Louis Teller, February 1979." The third specimen was lot 33349 in Heritage sale 3064 (Chicago, April 2018), where it sold for $384. The catalog description noted, "Tuscany. Provincial Fiorino 1859 MS63 NGC. A choice specimen that displays a fine balance of light toning and luster for an authentic look that many collectors seek." The grand duchy of Tuscany was ruled by the Medici family from the mid-1500's until its extinction in 1723. Given to Francis of Lorraine as compensation for the loss of his duchy, it passed to the Hapsburgs on his death in 1765 as a junior appanage, that is, it could never be directly ruled by the emperor himself but a cadet prince. Leopold II ruled the region from 1824 until his overthrow in the general unification of Italy in 1859-61. This coin is from the provisional government organized after his ouster.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.88 g, .917 fine silver, .202 troy oz ASW, 24 mm diameter; the second specimen Ø23 mm, 6.85 g, 6h axis.
Catalog reference: Gig-2, KM-C79, Montenegro 471.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Ira and Larry Goldberg, Goldberg sale 72: The Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles, CA: Goldberg Coins & Collectibles, 2013.
- Teller, M. Louis, and Victor England, Jr., The Richard Lissner Collection, Lancaster, PA: Classical Numismatic Group, 2014.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3064, featuring the Doug Robins Collection of Canadian Tokens, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2018.